Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Scars Are Permanent

     Not too long ago, while at work, I cut my arm pretty severely. I immediately went to the first aid kit after climbing down from the building I was working on, and began cleaning the wound. I first noticed that not only was the cut very deep but that it was also on top of a tattoo. I probably should have gotten the gash stitched up, but superglue is just as effective, and a lot less of a hassle. Because the cut was deep, I acquired a scar, and because of the location(on a tattooed portion of skin) the scar from the cut lay on a scar intentionally placed.
     This experience, for some reason, struck a creative note with in my psyche and I began to think about experiences that take place throughout our lives. Some are intentional and some are accidental, however, in either scenario they have an effect of some kind on us and our perception. Whether we realize this or not, every moment, every dilemma, every greeting, every loss, every gain, whatever it be, good, bad, significant or unnoticed, leaves a scar of some kind on our psyche and perception. Sometimes these are intentional and welcomed with open arms, leaving decorative scars we enjoy sharing with others. Often times the scars that are more noticed by us are those that weren't planned. These are the scars that I feel have quite a bit more effect on the psyche. The wound was deep, painful, and possibly saturated with regret at some point. The scar that remains as a result of this "injury" is often more notice by the wearer than anyone else.
     Scars can be attractive, even the unintentional wounds don't have to be destructive experiences. I have met many people who I feel have influenced my life in very positive ways, and they definitely have left their "mark" on my psyche. I'm willing to bet that you most likely have a memory or continuing relationship with another person who has or does continually amaze you or teach much without even intending to.
     Not all are scars are bad, some are quite pleasurable, either way they all contain a memory of some kind. The experience that is not forgotten remains, can be as useful as you like. We can learn from our mistakes, we can deny our mistakes. We can embrace experiences and we can embrace people involved and the ideas expressed by those people. Whether the scar is welcomed, unwelcome, a mistake, or unforeseen, it has left its mark and will not be forgotten. So I challenge you to look back, observe decisions you've made, experiences you've had, and contemplate what you can take away from them and use in a positive light. We have to remember the scar WON'T go away, so take everything you can from it.

"A lesson learned, is a lesson taught"

2COMBATCONTROL3!

No comments:

Post a Comment